Monday, September 21, 2009

Rising to the Top

"The greatest pleasure in life is doing what people say you cannot do."- Walter Bagehot

Hello all,

Well I am not going to beat around the bush the big news is that I am CANCER FREE! :] Although I cannot say that I am "Cancer free" because it could come back at any time I can say I am not doing treatment. I go in for MRI's every 3 months to get check ups and make sure that my tumor will not come back.

With that said, I need to fill in where I last wrote.

Last year I got to finish my few classes I was doing at home. I passed my english class both semesters and passed my math class for the one semester. I was very happy because that let me say I am a junior even though I might have to stay behind a semester or two. Over the summer I did many different things. I was trying to get back into hockey shape so I tried to get on the ice and work out just about every day.

I was able to do this so it took up much of my time. Mid July I got to do my Make A Wish which was to go to Sweden and play hockey with this incredible team. What an amazing experience. I truly will never forget it. I got to play some of the best hockey of my life, make some amazing friends (both from my team and the Swedish teams), and tour the beautiful town of Kunsbacka, where the tournament was. Here are some of the pictures. I took around 400 pictures but I can't put all of them up, Email me or my mom if you want a disk of all of the pictures that I took.




Limo Ride from Make a Wish to Airport





At the Rink with Jersey on
Soccer Girls from Sweden.
With Mom at the Beach (It was very Cold so thats why we are dressed heavily)

Warming up one of the goalies from Sweden
With some of the Swedish hockey players



With the team on the last night.

Again, Like I said It was so unbelievable. It's a trip I will never forget. That was a little over a week. When I got back it took a few days to adjust to the time again and I slept quite a bit. The rest of my summer was getting ready for hockey and enjoying my last few days of summer. The last few days of summer I was able to go see my Aunt Jen in California.

In California my Aunt Jen and I went clothes shopping for school. It was so much fun she really is the greatest Aunt ever. :] I got to clothes shop, go to In and Out Burger, watch Gabreals football practices, help Molly with homework and give her countless piggy back rides, and hang out with McClean.





As you can See I had a fantastic summer. I am so grateful for everyday I was able to live during summer after such a life threatening illness.

Currently now, I am play hockey for Arapahoe Minor AA, playing lacrosse for my school, and doing very well in school. I am very happy where I am right now and hope to keep pushing myself forward.

Thanks to all,

Keep looking for blogs throughout the year I will try to do one every month!

I would like to think of my life as pretty amazing right now.

I would like to close with a song thats been stuck in my head. Although I do not like this artist's attitude these lyrics speak to me.

"It's amazing, I'm the reason Everybody fired up this evening I'm exhausted, barely breathing Holding on to what I believe in No matter what you'll never take that from me My reign is as far as your eyes can see It's amazin', so amazin', so amazin', so amazin'It's amazin', so amazin', so amazin', so amazin 'It's amazin'"- Kanye West.

Thanks,

Tristan Close

4 comments:

DeeAnna said...

Tristan, I'm so happy to see that you are blogging again. I guess I could just walk through the back yard to talk to you! Well Done!

Deborah Cullins Smith said...

GREAT NEWS, Tristan!! (I already knew that from your Grandma, but it's still GREAT! *smile*)

Wish I'd known you were headed for Sweden. I have a very dear friend there, and would have loved for you and Lenina to meet her. I'm betting she would have tried to come see one of your games, had I been able to give her a heads up.

I'm so glad you had that trip, Tristan. It's great that you got to see a little bit more of the world than just the US portion of the globe.

Hope to see more good news from your blog in the coming year!

Cuz Deb

Janice Rolfs said...

Hi Tristan -
Just logged on here to see if you had updated and was so excited to hear that you had a wonderful summer. You certainly deserve it - and that Make a Wish trip sounded just fantastic!
Just wanted to say we are thinking about you and hoping you are having a great Holiday season!
Janice Rolfs -
Ellie's mom - we met briefly at an Avs game earlier this year.

Unknown said...

Tristan, Found your site while doing a report on cancer. Since you have no idea who I am, allow me to introduce myself. I'm Maddy. I live in NC and I'm 15. I work with kids with cancer (younger ones- you're older than me). Just wanted to say congrats on being better and hope you stay cancer free. You'll be in my prayers.