Sunday, December 14, 2008

It's not whether you get knocked down...

"It's not whether you get knocked down; it's whether you get back up."-Vince Lombardi

This quote has been running through my mind many times through out chemo. The getting knocked down part i thought was how towards the end of every chemo I seem to feel somewhat fine. I get to the hospital for chemo and the chemo just slams me down and then i don't feel great. I love to think of this quote as motivation to get better and make that little extra effort to feeling better.

Sunday night I was fortunate enough to get the chance to get an Avs jersey signed by all the players after their game against Vancouver in the locker room. This was awesome. I got to meet all the really nice players and re-visit my buddy Ian Laperriere. These guys were really great again and most of them signed my jersey. I went into chemo with this great excitement.

This last round of chemo has really been difficult. We had the same thing as last time. On the first day I stayed there for about six hours. The next two days are generally about one to two hours. What could be expected I felt awful during these three days of chemo and threw up constantly. I am still not feeling great and usually I am atleast a bit recovered by now. I have broken my own record for throwing up so much during chemo. I am still throwing up even today. My stomach has been wierd and I have felt very very weak and dizzy.

On Thursday I went in to get my port de-accesed and get this other shot I have to get after every chemo. I still didnt feel great that day but something brought my spirits up a little bit. We ran into the Avs this time they were visiting the hospital. It was really cool how i was sitting there in my wheel chair waiting to get out of there and all these amazing players were there still remembering my name! All the guys were still great. I really noticed a few that stood out and talked to me. My buddy Ian Laperriere was there and we were able to talk about how I was doing. Through all these Avalanche things I have been doing it has really occured to me how awsome of a player, guy, and leader he is. Ben Guite was also a really nice and awesome guy as well. All of them were really great and I really look up to all of them not only as hockey players but leaders as well.

Last night I went to my hockey team's game. I still felt really crummy still so I sat up in the bleachers with my dad clutching my puke bucket.

Clearly this chemo has been the hardest chemo but I am also hopeful that this is the last one.

If this is the last chemo I get to start radiation therapy on December 29th.

I am now looking forward to skating a bit with my team this week, Christmas, and hopefully the phone call from one of my teamates that we have won the Phoenix tournament.

Thanks for all your prayers and thoughts.

I am so lucky to have so many great friends and family.

Thanks,
Tristan

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Tristan:

Just read your post and I feel your pain, man. You make me think back to how I used to feel when your Mom would give me some lame excuse as to why she couldn't sell some of our products or why she was late on a report. It was sickening ;-)

So far you are getting the laughs on me about the Stars. I am hoping that they can work a deal to send the Avs Sean Avery to help out the chemistry up there. Maybe the Avs will send us Hejduk?

Keep the faith and if your parents give you a hard time just puke in their favorite chair, act all apologetic, and go smile in your room. Stay strong!

Eileen said...

Ugh, good riddance to chemo. And radiation may just leave you with a weird green glow.