Monday, December 1, 2008

What an amazing week!

Wow! What a great week I have had since the last week of chemo. It started about monday when I practiced with my team. Unfortunately by the end of practice that night my stomach started to get really wierd and I threw up in the car on the way home. The next day we went into the Dr. for my regular blood tests and my blood counts were fine which was awesome! However I didnt get cleared to play in my tournament this weekend. Tuesday night I went and practiced with my team again. This time I felt much better after and didn't throw up. This already was a great start to my week knowing i went through two practices with my team.

Wednesday night we started our tournament. We played a pretty decent game and came away with a win 2-0 against the Jr. Eagles. I was glad my parents still let me go and cheer/lead my team to victory. Wednesday night I found out from my parents that Saturday night I would get to go out during the Avalanche game and stand on the blue line during the national anthem with the starting line up. When my Dad finally got done describing this to me I was completely speachless. I was in so much shock and I was so excited I got the chance to do this.

Thursday (Thanksgiving), we spent with our good friends the Soichers. This was really fun because they have been there so much for me and there a great family to be around. I was also glad that I had most of my appetite back from chemo and was able to eat decent food! After our big meal my mom took me to my friend Christian's hockey game. This was really fun because its AAA hockey and I know alot of kids on the team. These guys have also been there for me and it has been really great to get to know some of these kids closer.

Friday, we spent most of our day running back and forth between Denver and Westminister for my hockey games. In our morning game we lost a close game to Ft. Collins 2-1. Our next game we came out hard against Foothills and beat them 3-0. I really would of thought after all that I would of been really tired and not feel to great by the end of the day but overall i felt great for all that I did that day.

Saturday, was a huge day. Saturday morning we had a game against Casper up in Westminister, where the tournament was. We came out pretty hard again and had another win 3-0. Because of our loss we were waiting on other games to be played and what not to see where we ended up with points to make it to the championship. Between the game that morning and the big avs game that night I was busy with friends coming over to get rides and friends hanging out.

That night I rode to the pepsi center with my Mom and my hockey friends. This was really exciting. When we finally got there it took us a bit to sort out where my team was seating and where my other friends were sitting and it took us a while to get me into get my stuff on. Finally we got every one in.

When I finally got dressed I waited in this hall way for the players to come out into this tunnel thing so they could go onto the ice. At this point I was pretty nervous but it was still amazing. As they came out I gave each of them high fives onto the ice and then I followed right in front of Ian Laperreire (assistant captain). When I got out there i felt like I was on top of the world. I took one short lap around them turned around on the blue line towards the opposite side and looked all around me. Then I turned around to the flags. Ryan Smyth talked to me for a bit out there which i found really really cool. They sang the national anthem then I got off. This was truly the experience of a life time and I had a great time it was so great!

I then went up and watched the game with my teamates and friends. About half way through the game I got a text from my team (I wasn't sitting with them then) saying, "WERE GOING TO THE SHIP!!" (championship). This was really the icing on the cake having a great night with my friends, and family!


The next day we drove up to Westminister for the championship game against Littleton. Our two teams were really even they beat us once and we beat them. It was a great game and we battled to the end. At first we went up 1-0 then they tied it. Then we went up 2-1 then they tied 2-2. Then the last 6 seconds of the game they scored. Truly a heart breaking loss but we played really well. Its a tournament and we already beat them in league where it really counts!


Thanks to everyone who made Saturday night possible it was really amazing!

Thanks to my hockey team for being there for me Saturday and for having a great tournament!


Thanks to everyone else for your prayers and thoughts!


I am so lucky to have so many great friends and family!

Thanks,
Tristan Close

(P.S. pictures of saturday should be coming soon!)

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Tristan:

Sounds like allot of fun and that your spirits are high. I am a bit confused, however. Are you sure you didn't throw up when you were at the Avs game? I know I would have.

Anyway, glad to hear you are doing well. We'll keep praying in Texas.

Bill M.

Mile High Multisport said...

T: It was great to see you Saturday night. Thank you for letting us enjoy the experience with you!!

Deborah Cullins Smith said...

Already got the pictures from your Grandma! Pays to have that inside family connection... :) The pictures are great, Tristan! I'm even taking them to Walmart to print for my Cullins family scrapbook.

Mindy sends her love. She tried to send a comment, but she isn't a blogger, so it wouldn't post. I keep telling her to write it out for me and I'll post for her... She's a busy lady though.

I'm sending my Mom and Pop (your Great-Aunt Dee and Uncle Clarence) your newest blog and the pictures from Diana. These poor old folks who can't manage a tv remote, much less a computer.... :D Are you even able to keep up with all these strange relations that you rarely see???

I'm happy for you, sweetie. You just keep on fighting through it all. Finish the fight -- then turn this blog into a bestselling book!

Love, Cuz Deb

maria wyckmans said...

Hey Spaghetti Pie,

Wow, I can hear the excitement in your writing....I'm so happy for you. Tyler wished he could've joined you for the Av's game...but darn it, he had to study for finals....yuk! Ron sends you a big hello from Australia.
Have another fantastic week buddy!.
Love ya,
Old Lady