Monday, December 29, 2008

The Start of the End

Today, (Monday, December 9th) was the start of my radiation. Last week we went and got a few blood tests done, a few MRI's and we were determining if i needed to do another round of chemo therapy or if I could move onto radiation. The MRI's looked great, as the tumor was shrunk enough to begin radiation. Last week on Tuesday I had a spinal tap as one of the test's as well. This came back good as well. On that same day they drew blood to make sure my counts were doing okay. My platelets unfortunately had dropped over 300 (that's bad) and they wanted to do a blood test again before I started radiation. Today I got my blood drawn and my counts were good. So therefore i started radiation. For those of you who don't know what radiation is, it is a nothing like chemo. Unlike being injected with chemo this one is more like being hit with a beam. You are lying down on a table and they put a mask over your head and face. You then lie there as the beam hits you. You don't really feel anything. Basing off of my first day I have felt pretty good just really tired.

Here are a few pictures from when they were forming the mask to do radiation. Its kinda creepy but somewhat cool at the same time:

My activity has been pretty normal. I am working towards playing with my team hopefully soon. I am trying my best to work out and work on things my team has been doing when I am not tired. My new goal is to try and be fit and ready to play the weekend we play our two toughest teams in our league, both Littleton teams. My team now is in Arizona kicking butt. I am hoping to get the phone call soon that we made it to the championship.

My Christmas was really awesome too. I got some really amazing gifts and had a great time.

We are hoping to have an all picture blog with all the pictures from people shaving there head all the way back to the avalanche game.
These should be up hopefully by today or tomorrow.


I hope everyone had a happy holidays and have a happy new year!!!

Thanks for all your prayers and support!!!

Thanks,
Tristan Close

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Tristan:

Sounds like you are making some solid progress--just like my Dallas Stars. You know how you felt better mentally knowing that the chemo was behind you and that you were starting a new form of rehabilitation. That's how we feel in Dallas now that Sean Avery is behind us. The team is starting to play like a team and getting back into last year's form.
Watch out Avs...just a couple of points back now--like about five other teams.

I am curious. How long does the radiation last? Each treatment and the whole process? I was exposed to your Mom for some time so does that mean I got radiation treatment? Also,I always felt tired after being around her so the symptoms seem to be the same.

Anyway keep up the good attitude and I look forward to your next posting.

Bill M.